By Gordon Hodson,Miles Hewstone
Intergroup touch continues to be probably the most potent ability to minimize prejudice and clash among teams. The prior decade has witnessed a dramatic resurgence of curiosity during this time-tested phenomenon, with researchers now concentrating on figuring out while, why, and for whom touch does (and doesn't) paintings.
This new quantity specializes in one of many preferred subject matters within the social sciences: prejudice. masking not just uncomplicated rules yet state of the art findings and theoretical instructions, key questions surrounding this topic are addressed, such as:
- how perceptions of different teams result in nervousness and avoidance;
- how cross-group touch impacts the improvement of prejudice in teenagers;
- whether highly-prejudiced humans take advantage of touch;
- how prestige and tool impact the effectiveness of touch.
In addition to exploring methodological demanding situations dealing with touch researchers, consciousness is dedicated to prejudice interventions which are rooted in our figuring out of touch results. those diversity from zero-acquaintance touch to intimate cross-group friendships, or even contain simulated touch reports.
This quantity attracts jointly world-renowned specialists in prejudice and intergroup touch to supply a long-awaited replace at the situation in intergroup touch examine. in addition to synthesizing and integrating the most important subject matters, it additionally offers attainable new instructions for destiny study. Given the prominence of touch as a robust prejudice-reduction device, this ebook is a must-read for college students and students of social psychology and sociology, in addition to policy-makers and practitioners.
Read Online or Download Advances in Intergroup Contact PDF
Similar social psychology & interactions books
A pioneering paintings in psychology, this vastly influential ebook served as a catalyst within the examine of the principles of social habit. sarcastically, its strategy marked this kind of dramatic departure from modern developments that it motivated little follow-up examine on the time of its 1908 ebook.
`A clever, considerate, and well-written ebook that takes social reminiscence stories in a daring new course and should allure an viewers from around the social sciences for years yet to come' - thought & PsychologyWhat informs the method of remembering and forgetting? Is it purely approximately to shop and retrieve reviews in a in simple terms useful feel?
What wouldn't it suggest to “get over slavery”? Is the sort of factor attainable? Is it even fascinating? may still we understand the psychic carry of slavery as a collection of psychological manacles that carry us again from imagining a postracist the USA? Or might the psychic carry of slavery be understood as a device, supporting us get a grip at the systemic racial inequalities and constrained liberties that persist right this moment?
“An person with Morton Deutsch’s theoretical brilliance comes alongside perhaps or thrice a century. ”David Johnson, college of Minnesota “The richness of Morton Deutsch’s paintings is sort of a goldmine that has slightly began to be mined. ”Susan Opotow, collage of Massachusetts Morton Deutsch is among the such a lot exceptional psychologists of our time and has been honoured by means of his occupation with a number of awards.
- Decolonizing Global Mental Health: The psychiatrization of the majority world (Concepts for Critical Psychology)
- Mindfulness and Acceptance in Multicultural Competency: A Contextual Approach to Sociocultural Diversity in Theory and Practice (The Context Press Mindfulness and Acceptance Practica Series)
- Trauma and Migration: Cultural Factors in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Traumatised Immigrants
- An Introduction to Psychodynamic Counselling (Basic Texts in Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- Morton Deutsch: A Life and Legacy of Mediation and Conflict Resolution
Additional resources for Advances in Intergroup Contact